Irvine Family Law Attorney

Irvine Family Law Attorney

Are you facing a divorce, child custody battle, or another family legal issue that threatens to disrupt your way of life? Instead of feeling overwhelmed and scared about what lies ahead, trust the attorneys at Kaufman Steinberg, LLP to guide you toward the best possible outcome for your case. Contact us today by calling 949-757-9000 or completing our online form and let us fight for your rights.

Our Family Law Practice Areas In Irvine, CA

Kaufman Steinberg, LLP is dedicated to helping our clients with all their family law matters in Irvine and the wider Orange County area. Our attorneys have decades of collective experience as well as the reputation to handle a wide range of family law issues.


Whether you have an uncontested or contested divorce, we can help you dissolve your marriage while protecting your rights. From splitting your assets and debts to sharing your children and staying safe from harm, we can help you sort out every issue.
We also offer a $2500 flat fee solution for divorces where you and your spouse are on the same page. In situations where you need the intervention of a divorce lawyer to settle or contest your matters, we offer highly competitive hourly fees.

Legal Separation

If you are not ready or able to get a divorce but want to live apart from your spouse, we can help you with a legal separation. A legal separation is a way to restructure your relationship without ending it in the eyes of the law. You can still address things like how to share your possessions, work out spousal support, and co-parent your children. We can help you draft an enforceable agreement that meets your needs and goals.

Child Custody And Visitation

We know your children are your top priority, so we can help you craft a parenting plan that not only works for you and your kids but also honors their best interests. We can help you with different forms of custody:
If you want to modify or enforce your existing child custody order because of relocation, domestic violence, substance abuse, parental alienation, or special needs, our law firm can handle that as well. A California family law attorney team from our law offices can advocate for your parental rights and your children’s welfare in Orange County.

Child Support

Kaufman Steinberg, LLP family law attorneys can help you calculate the amount of child support based on the statewide formula and other factors that apply to your situation. If your circumstances change or the other parent doesn’t follow the court’s orders, we will handle these issues on your behalf.

Spousal Support

Our goal is to help you make sense of the confusing process and estimate how much you may have to pay or receive based on various factors such as:
You may also need to change or end the order. Whether you are paying or receiving spousal support, you may need to adjust the amount or duration of the payments if you, for example, lose your job, get a raise, remarry, retire, or if the other spouse is not doing what the court ordered. We can help you request a modification or termination of support by gathering the evidence to show the court that there is a significant change of circumstances.

Domestic Violence

If your spouse or partner is hurting you, threatening you, stalking you, or harassing you, we can help you get a restraining order to stop the abuse. A restraining order is a court order that can protect you and your children from your abuser. It can order your abuser to stay away from you, your home, your work, and your school. Restraining orders can also order your abuser not to contact you by phone, email, text, or social media.

Prenuptial And Postnuptial Agreements

Having represented several high-profile and celebrity clients in Orange County, we know how to create iron-clad prenups and postnups with utmost discretion and professionalism. We will make sure your agreement covers:


We can help you with establishing paternity in various ways:

Frequently Asked Questions

What Is An Ex Parte In Irvine Family Law?

An ex parte is a special kind of hearing that you can ask for when you have an emergency and need the court to make a quick decision. For example, if your ex-spouse is trying to take your child away without your permission or the court’s approval, you can file an ex parte application to stop them. You can also use it to get a temporary order for protection, custody, support, or other urgent matters.

How Can I Modify An Existing Child Custody Or Support Order?

To modify an existing order in Irvine, CA, related to child custody cases, property division, or spousal or child support, you first must try to reach an agreement with the other parent about the changes you want to make. If you can agree, you can write up a new parenting plan and submit it to the court for approval.
However, if you can’t reach an agreement, you need to file a Request for Order (RFO) with the court. This is a motion that asks the judge to change your order based on new facts or circumstances. Then, you’ll need to serve the paper on the other parent and file your proof of service with the court. The judge will listen to both sides and make a decision based on the best interests of the child. If they grant your request, you will get a new order that replaces your old one.

How Long Does The Divorce Process Take In Irvine?

By law, there is a minimum waiting period of six months from the date the respondent is served with the divorce papers until the divorce can be finalized. This does not mean that the divorce will be completed in six months as there may be delays due to disputes over property, finances, custody, or other issues. Of course, you can have it finalized faster if both you and your spouse are willing to work together to settle all the terms before submitting the papers to the court for approval.

What Is The Difference Between Community Property And Separate Property In A Divorce?

In the context of divorce across Orange County, community property generally includes any assets or debts acquired during the marriage, except for inheritances or gifts. Separate property refers to any assets or debts acquired before the marriage or after separation or those that are exempt from California’s community property laws.

Can Grandparents Seek Visitation Rights In Irvine?

Grandparents don’t have an automatic right to visitation, so they must first prove that there is a pre-existing bond between them and their grandchildren and that granting visitation would be in the best interest of the children.
They must also overcome the presumption that the parents have the right to decide who their children see. Grandparents can file a petition for visitation with the court if one of the following conditions applies:

Get Legal Representation From Proven Family Law Attorneys In Irvine

Whether you need a settlement agreement specifically crafted for your best interests or a courtroom advocate who fights for you and your family, Kaufman Steinberg, LLP is here for you. We know how stressful and costly family law matters can be, so we work hard to make the legal process as efficient as possible. You will receive thorough representation that covers every aspect of your case without going through unnecessary complications. Call us at 949-757-9000 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case evaluation.
“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.”

– Richard Bach
Scroll to Top